Friday 4 November 2011

Bloggerview with Danielle Stone.






Name and occupation 
Danielle Stone, Australian Government spin doctor employee.


What would you like to plug? 
My extremely talented partner, designer Benjamin Shine who, not only has been dubbed 'the next Andy Warhol', has just launched his new website.www.benjaminshine.com

Name your three desert island ingredients 
Just three...? But my new Chanel could fit at least 20 ingredients in there! Ok, ok, if I'm only allowed three, they would be smoked tofu, stir fried vegetables and a bottle of Petrone, for...um...medicinal purposes.

Your best cooking tip 
Always remove the foil BEFORE placing food in the microwave.

What is your favourite snack? 
Almond butter, agave nectar and cinnamon on multigrain toast. 

What would you have for your last supper? 
Edamame dumplings and blackened cod, flown in from Buddakan in New York.


What foodstuff would you banish to room 101? 
Grapefruit... Such an unnecessary fruit. 

What's your favourite restaurant?
In the UK, it's Shanghai Blues in London. In Australia, it's Rockpool in Sydney.

Which book gets you cooking? 
Oh my, there's so many to choose from... Ugh, who am I kidding - I have never attempted to cook from a cookbook, but I can order like a pro from any menu. 

What comfort food comforts you when you are sick? 
Organic brown rice pudding, mixed with my mother's stewed rhubarb

Kitchen implement you can't do with out. 
The fire extinguisher. 

What's your dream dinner party line-up? 
My partner Benj, Karl Lagerfeld, Oscar De La Renta, Valentino, and Giorgio Armani. Just me and my men.

And what would you cook for them? 
Wha? I'd be too busy entertaining! 

What is your favourite cooking aroma?
My nanna, Clare Hurrell's famous roast dinner.

What was your childhood teatime treat? 
Anything deliciously sticky and artificially coloured.

What was the first thing you learnt to cook?
 My Sunshine Surprise Barbie, who entered the microwave for a relaxing sauna, and came out as a puddle of plastic. Suffice to say, my mother was apprehensive to encourage me to explore my culinary abilities from that point on. 

What was there first thing you taught your children to cook? 
Um, Chihuahua's can't cook, so...

What was your mothers signature dish and do you try to copy it? 
My mother makes the tastiest cauliflower and cheese dish that I will never attempt to copy, given that one cannot perfect perfection.  

What would you make to impress your partner? 
Anything really, he'd be amazed.

Where do you go for the best fish and chips? 
Bondi Icebergs in Sydney, although I'd rather order tuna tartare with a side of greens.


What was your most memorable meal? 
Gosh, there's so many... The latest was the fluffiest, tastiest egg white omelette I ate during brunch at Ella in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I enjoyed it so much that I ordered (and devoured) another in the same sitting. 

What was your biggest culinary disaster? 
The one and only time I attempted to make a desert for my beloved, which morphed into a sweet-ish raspberry and blueberry omelette. Disastrous.

What's the worst meal you've ever had? 
Please refer to previous answer.

What's the most outlandish thing you've ever eaten? 
Being Australian, I don't think too much about eating Kangaroo, however, when I share this information with friends from London and New York, I usually get horrified looks.

Who's your food hero/food villain? 
Hero: my nan, Clare Hurrell, who was an amazing woman who could cook anything with ease. 
Villain: Ronald McDonald - does anyone else think it's a little odd that an old, creepy clown who strangely resembles Steven King's murderous character in 'IT' continues to endorse fatty, sugary, synthetic-like food? FAIL!

Nigella or Delia? 
Nigella, because I don't know anyone else who can sexualise the steaming of salmon like she can. 

Gin or Vodka? 
Vodka, it complements any outfit and contains less calories. 

Muesli or fry-up? 
The health freak in me screams "muesli", whilst I secretly salivate at the thought of fried organic eggs and bacon on toast.

Wine or beer? 
Red wine please, namely a Pinot Noir.

KFC or Burger King? 
Eww, pass.

What do you consider the best of the best of British?
Other than Prince Harry, food-wise, I'd have to say the quaint, old pubs that are situated in and around London. Great food, great atmosphere, God save the Queen!

What's the best/worst thing about the British restaurant scene? 
Best: the pride taken in meals created, evident in the presentation of food which always adds that 'special something' to my dining experiences. Worst: the 'no photos allowed' rule enforced in most up-market restaurants in London. I like to capture memories which are often made whilst dining out with friends and family. Lose the snobbish rule, or lose my business.

What do you think will be the next big thing? 
Aside from my partner Benjamin Shine...? In terms of food, I think we'll start to see more organic produce on menus. After all, no one wants a side of pesticide with their salad anymore - does nothing for one's
complexion.  

What would you do if you could choose any other career? 
Well, after this interview, I quite fancy myself as a food critic.

What do you have for Christmas lunch? 
In Australia, my family and I dine on a variety of fresh seafood and salads. This is usually followed by big, delicious pieces of pavlova topped with passionfruit, blueberries and strawberries. 

Make a wish 
*shutting eyes and wishing for a piece of pavlova to appear*

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, I LOVE this girl... Ms Stone, I want to be your BFF!!

    ReplyDelete